How to get anything creative done (with a baby)

Friday, 4 November 2016

Before I start this post I want to say that I love being a mama and whilst Stanley is still (relatively) little I'm so grateful I can spend time watching him learn and grow. However, I didn't leave my whole personality on the labour ward when I had him and being creative, having projects and keeping my hands busy is such a huge part of who I am. Over the last few months I've learnt a few hard lessons about what I can realistically do whilst being a full time mum. It can be massively frustrating at times as there is so much I want to do but I've learnt to manage my own expectations and it's generally ok. Here are a few of my tips to getting stuff done...

Write a big list, then break it down - Every few months/weeks I write a big list of everything I want to do, from big renovation projects to making a necklace. I highlight the top three and only concentrate on them. It's easy to get over whelmed but by simplifying I get projects ticked off much quicker. 

Get prepared - If I'm writing a new DIY tutorial then I make sure everything is ready to go during nap time. It might take me a few days to get everything together but I make sure everything is ready in one place and my camera is charged so I can get cracking as soon as he goes to sleep. 

Take Facebook off your phone - Facebook is the worlds biggest time waster, I took the app off my phone in June and got hours of free time back - hooray! 

Just get on with it - Its easy to faff around and get distracted but when I want to get something done and only have a nap time to do so, the best way is to just knuckle down and get on with it. It's amazing what you can achieve in an hour. 

Be realistic - This is the hardest one for me as I want to do everything but I just can't. You know if you have days or minutes of free time so be realistic with what you can do during those times. For example I know that I don't have the spare time to make a dress but do have enough time to make Christmas stockings (tutorial coming soon, hopefully!) it scratches my sewing bug but won't leave me feeling like I've failed. 

I hope this is helpful even if you're just busy and want to find ways to get a few more creative hours in to your days.

SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. You are so impressive. Love that you are keeping up with your passions. I don't have the excuse of a baby and I still don't get things done! Maybe will try and remedy that this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! You are keeping up with your passions in a way, you're living the Italian dream. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover